Fire Safety

Home / Fire Safety
Fire Safety
Fire Safety

Fire Safety requirements may differ according to local regulations, short term rental company requirements, and owner knowledge of fire safety. Here are some questions that you can ask as you consider staying at a rental property for your holiday travels:

  • Does the property have a fire escape plan? Is it posted?
  • Do the bedrooms have smoke alarms? Are they in-date and in proper working

    condition? (The date can be found on the back of the alarm– no more than 10

    years old– per the National Fire Protection Association).

  • Is the address properly posted per local ordinance? Are the numbers reflective?
  • Is there a fire alarm system for the home?
  • Is there a State Certified fire extinguisher available in the home?
  • If the kitchen is available for use- is there a Class K State Certified fire extin-

    guisher present?

  • Does the usable living space have working and in-date smoke alarms?
  • Does the area have a Carbon Monoxide Alarm?
  • Do the windows open in the bedrooms?
  • Are there security bars present on the windows? If so, can they be opened easily

    by someone inside the home?

  • Are all exits within 75 feet from any point in the rentable space?
  • Is there an emergency guidebook to provide emergency procedures and emergen-

    cy contacts? Does it list the closet hospital and urgent care facilities?

    Here are some other suggestions as you plan your trip:

  • Be cognitive to potential weather disasters that may occur in the area where you

    are staying and the emergency procedures associated with that disaster– ex. Hur-

    ricanes, tornados, and earthquakes.

  • Look up local crime statistics and be vigilant
  • Always have situational awareness
  • Carry your own emergency kit and first aid kit
  • If you take any medication make sure to keep it in its original container while you travel
  • Carry your own Carbon Monoxide Alarm– it will activate if Carbon Monoxide

    is detected no matter where you place it when you unpack. Carbon Monoxide is the Silent Killer and the only way to detect a hazardous amount is by having a Carbon Monoxide alarm that is operational and in date.

The City of South Fulton requires all Short Term Rental properties to have a City Business license (City Ordinance 2018-044). Other municipalities may or may not require a business license for the property and the property may or may not have had a fire inspection. You can consult the local municipality if you have any questions about the business license or fire inspection requirements at a property you are plan- ning to stay at.

Have a fire safety question you want to see featured in the next “Tip Sheet”? Or if you have any questions about fire inspections and/or any fire related questions, please contact the Community Risk Reduction Division at (470) 809-7575 or via email at

If you have questions regarding li- censing, please contact Chris Pike at 470-809-7211 or via email at Christo-